Tuesday 28 July 2015

Pedalmasters ride to conquer cancer

For the Westlock News

The Pedalmasters, L-R, Laurie Walker, Wilma Roelofs, Linda Boutin and Lori Cairns will participate in the seventh annual Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer in August. The local quartet has raised nearly $17,000. Supplied

A determined team of Westlock-area women will take to their bicycles next month to help raise money for caner research.

Wilma Roelofs, Lori Cairns, Laurie Walker and Linda Boutin are the Westlock Pedalmasters and will ride over 200 kilometres between Calgary and Okotoks and back, on the Aug. 8 weekend during the seventh annual Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer.

“We follow the cowboy trail. It’s very beautiful through that area,” said Boutin,
“And hilly.”

Boutin said she is riding for her sister Theresa O’Brien, who died of cancer in 1992 at age 42.

“I make cancer donations my priority,” said Boutin. “This is the first time for all four of us riding.”

The quartet has raised $16,583, well ahead of their fundraising goal of $12,500 — all money raised goes to the Alberta Cancer Foundation.

Boutin said she is excited for the event, although she admitted the distance will be a challenge.
“Yeah, I’m nervous,” said Boutin with a laugh.
“I’m excited too.”

To prepare, Boutin and her team have been riding 100 kilometres daily.

“I’ve rode to Barrhead and back,” she added. “I just love being outside and that feeling of wind blowing through your hair.”

The opening ceremony for the ride will be held at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary where the number of participants and final total raised will be announced — last year’s event netted $7.9 million and had 1,768 riders.

Since its inception the ride has raised $46.2 million.

Participants are required to raise $2,500 each to be permitted to ride in the event.

Boutin said she raised money with a different approach and didn’t just ask for a donation.

“When I first started I thought ‘Oh my gosh, how am I ever going to get this kind of money’ so what I did was challenge my friends and family. I said that if they donated $200 to my cause I would give them three hours of labour,” said Boutin. “Only two people actually made me work for them, so it was really good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment